Wednesday, April 15, 2009

ABC Wednesdays - M for meteorite

Last Saturday I went to get a photo of our museum for M, but while I was there I saw this meteorite.

The Mundrabilla Meteorite was found in 1996 on the Nullarbor Plain, in Western Australia. This specimen weighs 2500 kg. I'm sure glad I wasn't nearby when it hit the ground!

While I was walking around the museum I saw lots of other interesting M's; this is a sample of Mesolite from Maharashtra in India.

Entry to the Adelaide Museum is free and you can take photos but flash is not allowed. I was not really prepared, so I will return sometime with my tripod to get some more shots.

Click here and here to see previously posted outside shots of the Museum itself.

The ABC Wednesday meme was created by Denise Nesbitt. To find out more about ABC Wednesdays and see other participants' contributions click here

13 comments:

magiceye said...

wow! 2500kg!! phew!

Rune Eide said...

That meteorite was definitely not one to get stoned with! It must have some crater. You have found truly rare M.

Donna said...

The Mesolite is Gorgeous!!! Yes, you'll HAVE to go back!!hahaa...hughugs

Jane Hards Photography said...

Really have got an out of this world image this week.

Janie said...

Marvelous M's from the Museum!

Stefan Jansson said...

That is a big one.

photowannabe said...

Perfect choice for the letter M. Great shots of the meteorite and Mesolite.

Anonymous said...

There is something very magical about meteorites and what a tale they would have to tell...I wanted to thank you for posting that info about monarch butterflies and the web site in Australia. I then went to see what international sites were around devoted to butterflies. I would guess they are in trouble in many areas of the world for similar problems....Michelle

Jay said...

Good grief .. yes, I bet you're glad you weren't nearby when that one hit the ground!

The Mesolite is pretty. And it's a mineral, is it not?

Von said...

Wonderful isn't it? I've known it since I was a kid, it's an old friend and so good to see people are still marvelling at it!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Hi Gordon,

Is it just me, why does the meteorite look as though it is hanging upside down? I can't even comprehen how big it is. How does it compare to a big car?

Museums are great places. Sam went yesterday, and made kapkap for me to post. Wish I went with him.

Have a good weekend,

Ann:)

Gordon said...

Ann - the photo is a bit deceiving; the meteorite is sitting on a low white table which is reflecting light. I should have mentioned the size; probably not much more than a metre long.

Tussy said...

Very creative idea of 'M'